Wednesday 23 October 2013

Flickr's Quicker! Task 1d

My Flickr account is now up and running! I found it really easy to use , the photo's uploaded almost instantly and the site seems reasonably easy to get around. I haven't had a chance to look at anybody else's Flickr's yet but I shall be.

I just uploaded a few action shots from me on stage through the last 3 years at Bodywork. I am a bit concerned that the college photographer has his copyright mark on them. However, he does lets you use them however you want. He uploads them on facebook for us all to tag ourselves in and as I said, do what ever with them! I feel that my Flickr account will be used for BAPP course purposes and professional only. I do have an Instagram account which is a bit more personal, feel free to add.

The address for my flickr is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amelia-jay/

The address for my Instagram is: breakfastatmillies

In todays society audio-visual technologies can be seen every where, to update the people of the world with important news , peoples idea's and opinions and even things such as Vine, which has been created just for peoples enjoyment. The tools that we have today such as Youtube,Vine and Instagram are used on such a huge scale that a small slice of information can be passed through to receivers on the other side of the world, within minutes. 

These sites can be used just for pure personal usage but also for your career/business. For example, I have an acquaintance who started up his own clothing line from home. He has his own website and often posts and interacts with customers through Instagram. He now ships worldwide! You can find him through my Instagram, address is above.

Using Youtube, you can create show reels and video's of your chosen profession that are then open to a vast audience, getting you the publicity that you need to start off your career or interest inquiring agents. It is a lot quicker than going to audition for an agent or colleague. 

As much as videos and pictures on social website's are an amazing way to connect, you also have to be wary of what you can come across. Listening to the news last week , there has been controversy on the security policies of Facebook.The issue has been of a video being seen by millions of Facebook users , of a woman being beheaded. Here is what Facebook has said the the BBC

'Facebook has long been a place where people turn to share their experiences, particularly when they're connected to controversial events on the ground, such as human rights abuses, acts of terrorism and other violent events.
People are sharing this video on Facebook to condemn it. If the video were being celebrated, or the actions in it encouraged, our approach would be different.
However, since some people object to graphic video of this nature, we are working to give people additional control over the content they see. This may include warning them in advance that the image they are about to see contains graphic content.'

In some respects I agree with what Facebook has said. The video is being shown to parts of the world and people who had no idea this kind of thing was going on.It opens peoples eye's to the dark, twisted things that do in fact go on in this world. And as it should people are disgusted and discourage it. However, I have a sister who is 14 and she has Facebook, I'm pretty sure if she saw that video, she would of had nightmares.

I would say as there is good and bad in everything, I believe the same about using audio-visual technologies and Images in Social Media. I am positive that all of us here are using it for the good of our career's and the prospects that it could bring. 


Amelia-Jay.




4 comments:

  1. Hi Amelia

    I've never heard of Vine! I've just had a quick search of it, and I'm still none the wiser! Could you explain what it does and what it's use is?

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan!
      Sure, I found if you just type into youtube 'Vine Compilations' a lot of examples will show up. Vine is basically short video clips that people post for entertainment. IT's purely just for fun but it is a very popular tool at the minuet as most of them are spreading like wildfire across the internet.
      Hope that helped.

      Amelia Jay

      Delete
  2. Hi Amelia,

    Really liked looking through your flickr photos. I think the photographer's copyright mark on them means those looking at them can actually see who's photo it is. Some of my photos too have something similar in the corner.

    Its always interesting to hear about people making money/ a living out of social media. My mum does something similar where she is commissioned to make a company/organization's facebook page in order to publicise them. This isn't her full time job but she is payed for it. It amazed me to think she has effectively been payed to play around with facebook!

    I was thinking as Web 2.0 is such a widely used thing nowadays for not just our personal life but professional, maybe we should be educated on it more at school on how to use it in an ethical and appropriate way? You say your sure we are all using it for the good of our career and I agree, although sometimes a good intention could be misread and turn into bad publicity without meaning it. If there was more education on it it could prevent this from happening?

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma,
    Thank you for clearing up about the copy right on the photo's on my flickr , I didn't want to get in any sort of trouble :)

    Oh wow , that sounds like a brilliant job on the side. We see advertisements and promotional pages all the time and never stop to think about how all of it was created and the processes it goes through, its incredible.

    I definitely agree with providing a better understanding of web 2.0 in schools as most of us in my age category and above are all "technophobes" but the younger generation are wiz-kids. However, would they know how to create web pages and blogs for their professional use, I don't think so. So having a better education on how to use 2.0 tools to create web pages and for business purposes would be very beneficial for their future!

    Could you give me an example on the intention that could be turned into bad publicity, as I'm not quite following?

    Amelia Jay.

    ReplyDelete