Monday 17 March 2014

Rejection from and the mental attributes of dancing as a professional.

I feel very ancious to start again as I have been so busy in london working and auditioning , I've gotten caught up in the hustle and bustle of it all, as usually I'm at home in Peterborough working in retail and reading through Readers. I recently got to the end of a Disneyland Paris audition. I was absolutely exstatic,  I got through the first round and then the second.I had my hair and make up done by the make up artist and then stood in front of the judges as they scrutinised every detail of my face to see if it fit the character. I didn't get the job in the end, which is a shame because i would ADORE to live in Paris but what will be , will be.
 As I want to base my Inquiry on or around dancers and performers coping with rejection and the low self- esteem that may occur from the rejection , I found some interesting blogs that talk about it.


The first blog is from a mothers point of view. She has a daughter who wants to be a dancer. This lady talks about making everything positive as children are so vulnerable to critique. "Disappointment can lead to a point of self destruction if it is left to manifest, so it is essential that she learn how to respond effectively".  Many young children start dancing from as young as 3 but is it healthy to be put in such critical industry so young as it does effect self esteem so strongly? This blog was nice to see from the point of a constructive dance mum instead of a "Pushy mum" which if any of you watch the TV show 'Dance Moms' you see quite often.  The link for this blog is below.


http://www.theballetblog.com/article/i-know-that-dancers-have-a-tough-time-coping-with-rejection-and-dealing-with-losses-at-competitions-how-can-i-help-my-daughter-prepare-herself-so-she-comes-through-these-situations-easily/

Another interesting blog , is from and ex ballerina and current ballroom dancer. She offers helpful tips about dealing with rejection and lists some very famous people who had to deal with rejection early in their own careers.  She talks about accepting what you can not control , like the producer wanting a certain height or hair colour but then owning the things that you can control , like the way you danced and how you acted in front of the casting director.  Rejection is a big factor in any professionals life but I feel the performer faces rejection more so. I wonder how an average worker would cope with such rejection..every week maybe even daily as we do? I have asked and recorded some questions that I have written in the blog post before this , to professionals in the industry and not , to see their different views. I will be putting up the video on youtube shortly and posting a link. It has just been hard getting to everybody and finding free times that is good for everyone.  The link for the retired ballerina is below.

http://reflectionsinverse.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/handling-rejection-as-dancer.html


No comments:

Post a Comment