Monday 31 March 2014

Task 5c. Ethical framework and how it fits into professional inquiry.

Ethics was a vast and interesting topic to research and learn about. Before finishing the Reader , I didn't fully understand the term 'ethics'. I thought it was simply, if you were to carry out procedures in the correct way. However, I have learnt about different niche's inside the word 'ethics' i.e; personal, society, theoretical. Each more interesting than the last.

"Every art & every inquiry and similarly every action and pursuit, is thought to aim at some good".(Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, Book 1, 350 B.C.E)

The first thing I found alluring was how far back ethics run in humanity. Back to the ancient Greek ,where they mainly believed in a persons virtue,their character and were they good or bad? Aristotle believed in becoming good as a person rather then to do good. I would claim him to be a Virtue Ethicist

Consequentialist - Lying may be seen as wrong however sometimes the benefits of lying are far superior than the consequences to it.

Deontologist - Lying is wrong all the time and no good shall come from lying.

Virtue Ethicist - Lying will depend on benefit and intentions, wether good or bad. Lying for the wrong reasons may cause damage to your character.

These viewpoints may add up to approaching normative ethics "which examines the principles that people use when they make moral choices".
When writing my views about the case study's in Reader 5 , I found that using the descriptive ethics style to record my thoughts made my findings a lot shorter and more matter of fact. Leading me to believe I am passionate and have more to say when I discuss ethics normatively. 
 I believe I am this way and have so many morals due to family and upbringing but also from social media. TV shows and blockbuster films always show the hero sacrificing themselves for the greater good or simply unselfishly. Social media sites such as Facebook show reports on animal cruelty or discrimination under scrutiny with the deontologist ethics. BBC aired a programme about being homosexual in Russia today and the awe full discrimination they go through and how the law and social media accept and even promote it. 

The morals we believe are taught to us and change from time or place.

Case study three I found significant to me, "The Dance Class". My questions seem to find them selves around the self esteem of dancers from the industry and the rejection we get from it. So went Alicia was taking part in her inquiry in the third school and found a teacher to "belittle " a dancer , to then see it affect her emotionally , to get the response "I am only preparing her for the real world". Too often this happens & I have experienced it personally, as it is true , this is the way the industry is. But why? It is not ethically correct!


Consequentialist - Yes it may be harmful to bring down the self esteem and criticise a dancer but it is for their own greater good as it will make them a better dancer. Hence, getting the domino effect of being a better dancer, creating a better show, producing the need for more tickets and boosting the economy.

Deontologist - Why is one child being singled out and her feelings made less important than the others. Children it is often said have the mind of sponges, soaking everything up, so why would you critic them and upset them as they will remember that for a substantial amount of time. No good can come from upsetting anybody.

Virtue Ethicist - Based on the outer good, if this child wants to become a professional dancer in her gut, than this is what she must face. What does it say about the teachers character? He is insensitive to others feelings but does have their best interest in mind. Others may say he is heartless and callus but this is their opinion that they're entitled to.His intensions seem to be good by stating " preparing her for the real world", he wants her to succeed. 

Although this case study looks at the teaching methods, it does intwine with my questions about low self-esteem coming directly from the industry and even in early education. 


When I take part in my inquiry I will use the BERA guidelines to go by for the safety of my participants. When i recorded some previous participants for my work I didn't even realise that I had done it so ethically. Asking their permission to upload their answers onto sites , promising to delete data of my personal devices after completion of the task. Although I feel now that I should have asked them all the exact same questions as to be fairer.












No comments:

Post a Comment